Delicious sticky chocolate cake in 3 minutes – well more like 5 minutes if you count the time it takes to measure out the ingredients into a cup. Here’s a little video from KitchnFlix (be sure to pop on over and subscribe). Minty shows us how to make her cake in a cup recipe, with a little help from her friend Ankha (before she had to leave).
We have a new microwave. I wasn’t a big fan until Minty showed me how magical it can be to bake a cake in 3 minutes. She jumped at the chance to finally make her favorite cake in a cup recipe. We have been eating cake for breakfast lunch and tea – it’s so easy! The chocolate cake is chewy and moist – more like a traditional pudding cake or a self saucing pudding. I have been experimenting with the recipe – chai mix, all-spice and other variations – I’m developing a recipe for Christmas Pudding in a cup, baked in 3 minutes, which we will be sure to share.
This recipe is adapted from Home Made Winter by Yvette van Boven.
Cake in a Cup
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
makes one cup of cake
1. Mix the dry ingredients in a cup – make sure the cup hasn’t got any gold gilt as this will spark in the microwave!
2. Add the egg, having cracked it open into a dish to avoid getting shell in the cake. Whisk with a fork.
3. Add the milk and oil and whisk well until all combined.
4. Place cup in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes on high.
5. The cake will rise above the rim of the cap and will defeat a little when you remove it from the microwave. Take care it will be very hot. Let it cool a little and serve. You can add whipped cream, ice cream and/or caramel sauce. I like it as is, nothing extra needed – warm and gooey and delicious – cake in a cup.
Add 1 tablespoon chai latte mix to the dry ingredients and a shot of espresso for a spicy coffee chocolate cake.
Add 1 teaspoon of all-spice to the mix for a delicious spice cake.
Add 3 tablespoons raisins to the mixture before microwaving for a variation on spotted dick.
Roughly chop some chocolate and add to the mixture before microwaving for extra chocolate ripples.
Add 2 tablespoons of golden syrup to the top of the mixture, don’t stir it in, microwave – for a sweet sticky toffee pudding.
Double the quantities and mix in a bowl and then divide into 2 cups and microwave both cups together – this gave the best results for the consistency of the cake as it cooked a little less and with a little less power.