This Healthy Minestrone Soup Recipe for a snow day, a rainy LA day or just because it’s in the bleak mid winter and we all need a little warming up. I’m a big fan of soup especially on cold winter days when you are trying to be healthy but you are also in need of a warmth and confort. Soup has always been an easy way for getting the children to eat up more vegetables and same goes for adults. This is a perfect example of where Lean Luxury is a meeting of healthy and comfort food. So this recipe is a winner twice over. A healthy spicy tomato minestrone soup that will warm you from the inside out.
Spice it up!
I used a lot more cayenne pepper than the original recipe suggested to spice things up – and I resisted reaching for my immersion blender and was glad I did because it’s good to have vegetables for color and for texture. This soup is spicy filling and satisfying.
Healthy Minestrone Soup Recipe
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup chopped Vidalia onion
1/8 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
1 cup chopped tomatoes (I like Pomi – no hidden salt, sugar or additives)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1 cup steamed fresh spinach
1 cup chopped and steamed kale
Fresh ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Makes 2 generous servings of 8 ounces each
What to do
1. Place ¼ cup vegetable broth in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the broth starts to boil add the onion, celery and sweet potatoes and sweat from about 8 minutes.
2. When the stock has almost disappeared and the vegetables are beginning to brown add the tomatoes and the remaining stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer until vegetables are soft.
3. Season with black pepper and cayenne pepper.
4. Add the basil, parsley, chives, spinach and kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Measure out the 8 ounce portions and serve in large white soup bowls.